Sunday, August 10, 2014

NOT VERY SCARY!

Boo!

Wait.

Oh, it's August 12th?

Right.

Ok, well, I'm in a Halloween mood anyway, since NOT VERY SCARY is out today!

NOT VERY SCARY was written by Carol Brendler and I did the pictures. Janine O'Malley was our editor at FSG, and I really couldn't wish for a better collaborative team.

We had a lot of fun making this book, and we're all thrilled that it received a starred review from Publishers Weekly. I've decided to share some sketches and early stuff here for those interested - here goes . . .

The final cover
Very early cover thumbnails


Early concept sketches of Melly
Melly in the final book

Early Goblin sketch


Some lettering options (we went with my favorite at the top)


A spooky house that I threw out

Some rats that also got canned - hope to find a purpose for these guys someday
Rat close-up

And here is some of the final art from the book:

The Title Page (sans author/illustrator/publisher type)

Mummies
My wife's favorite character is this spooked ghost

I threw in some easter eggs, too, for any super fans out there (and mostly to keep it fun for myself)

A screenprint by my friend Tim Gough that hangs in my living room
found it's way into the book as the "Pin the Drool on the Ghoul" Game
Here's Tim's poster in the book (with his permission of course)

Sculpture by my mother-in-law Julia Healy, made from pencils and a tree branch
Melly's cousin Malberta has a very similar sculpture in her living room
In a way the whole look of the book felt like my version of a tribute to one of my art heroes, Charles Schulz, and I directly referenced his work from the "A Charlie Brown Christmas" movie:

Pretty obvious right? 

NOT VERY SCARY is out now! Hope you'll check out the book, and Happy Halloween!*

*In 2 and a half months







1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! Thanks for sharing your sketches and the process to publishing. My first grade class LOVED The Watermelon Seed, and I just purchased Not Very Scary to read to them this week. In Writer's Workshop, we've been studying making rough drafts with sketches and eventually turning them into 'published' pieces. This blog post will be great to share with them so that they can see that even our favorite authors have to draw sketches too!

    -Christa
    Learnin' Books

    ReplyDelete