Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Two Years Out

Feeling sentimental, as it's two years ago today that I started my career as a full-time freelance illustrator.

I left my job doing design and admin work at a PR firm for the unknown territory of publishing and freelance illustration. At the time, I did not have a book deal, or any real sense of how I was going to make it work. Just a molehill of savings and a mountain of student loan debt.

I took a risk, worked hard, and was lucky. I've got some pretty incredible people in my corner, and I'm grateful to them.

Today, two years out, it's mind-blowing how much has changed. I have several books under contract and it looks likely that more will be coming. Not just any books either, but dream projects.

My first book got a great review in the New York Times and received a couple of stars, too. What more could I ask for?

Also, it seems the universe deemed it appropriate that today would be best for my next book to become available to pre-order, which you can do here. It's called NUMBER ONE SAM, and I'm psyched for it to come out next May.



Today I'm feeling very thankful and excited for what comes next. Thank you to everyone who has bought a book, or a print, written a review online, let me sign stock, blogged about my work, had me in to a school or store, or emailed. It really means a lot to me. I look forward to continuing my work and seeing what the next years bring. Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Greg, we met at the 2011 SCBWI Winter Conference in NYC. Congrats for all the new book deals - super well deserved! And you did the right thing becoming a full-time author/illustrator!
    Two questions I like to ask our other author/illustrator fellows: how many projects can you kinda handle a year and what do you do to avoid back/shoulder/arm pain (we tend to spend an insane amount of time on the computer)?
    Cheers!
    Vin

    ReplyDelete