Sunday, September 15, 2013

Picture Book Layout

After I posted about how I wrote and created the art for THE WATERMELON SEED, I started getting a lot of emails from people asking if I could send them my picture book layout pdf. I'm happy to share it, and since I've gotten quite a few emails asking about it, I figured it was worth posting here.

Click here to download the pdf.

It's worth noting that this is for a standard self-ended picture book. So it's got 40 pages, but the first and last page are glued down to the cover boards. Also, in my experience so far, typically pages 2-3, and 38-39 are the endpapers. And 4-5 are usually for copyright and a title page. Of course these rules can be broken, but it's most common to have just 16 spreads to use for the actual story. Just something to keep in mind. Also, the dimensions here are for a book with a portrait orientation,  but of course landscape, square, and anything else you can think of is possible.

Enjoy.
GP

8 comments:

  1. Loved this post. Been wondering how to go about starting a picture book. Just the tip I needed. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, good luck getting started.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post, was having a hard time visualizing/figuring out PB layout . Also enjoyed your post about The Watermelon Seed. Love the look of it, your screen printing is so neat.
    Thank you for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post. Thank you so much for sharing. This is going to be SO helpful to a lot of authors! <3

    ReplyDelete