Monday, May 14, 2012

Big News!

Hey! Big news! I have been sitting on this for about 6 months - but I got the go ahead to blog about it now aaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnddddddddd I signed a 2-book deal with Disney*Hyperion! I am writing and illustrating both books - and the first one will come out next May! It's honestly been the dream my whole life, and I couldn't be happier with the experience so far. It happened last fall but I was asked to not talk about it online until now. I am wrapping up all of the art for the first book this week, and then it's on to book two!

The first book is called The Watermelon Seed and is about a crocodile who loves watermelon more than anything in the world, until he swallows a seed . . .


My Editor, Art Director, and everyone at the publisher have been really great to work with and have been terrific about investing time and energy into making sure the books look and feel just right. The Watermelon Seed will be printed in 3 spot colors and on matte paper and the whole thing should feel like one of my handmade screenprinted books, but hardcover with a jacket and actually in book stores. 

I'll be posting lots more about The Watermelon Seed (Summer 2013) and the next-still-secret-book (Summer 2014) here and on twitter and facebook. I'm really excited to show everyone the work I've been doing, and I hope you like what you see. Lots of sketches, process posts and giveaways to come.

Stay tuned . . .



5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! It looks like a lot of fun! Thrilled also to hear that big dreams do come true. Gives hope to the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is great!! I cant wait to see the books!

    ReplyDelete