Friday, January 14, 2011

Hi Greg, I am love with your work. I am really interested in practicing silkscreen. How would you recommend I begin? Are you self-taught? -Tony

Hi Tony, thanks for the compliment. I did take a one semester class while I was in undergraduate school - but did most of my learning while working as an AmeriCORPS VISTA at a 501(c)3 non-profit community art center. I had taken that one class in college and decided to give it a go and start a silkscreen class at the art center. Countless hours of searching through messageboards and calling up strangers later, I had some idea of how I could do everything without much capital. I printed with low tech equipment in basements and living rooms for years. After printing on my own for a few years I got into an MFA program in Philadelphia and just continued to figure stuff out. I now teach at The University of the Arts in Philadelphia and have my own studio outside of the school. I think I learned most things from knowing other artists and asking them how they do things - I guess sort of like this.

Depending on where you live there may be classes in your area. I teach in the Undergraduate program at UArts, but I also teach in the Continuing Education program, which is great for people who can only take classes at night but want to try to expand their studio practice. Here’s a link for info about my class: http://cs.uarts.edu/ce/classes/screen-printing-3



Hope you figure something out!

No comments:

Post a Comment